Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thanks! Day, the Second. HOORAY for Technology!

Today is Sunday. It was also Stake Conference, with a twist. It was broadcast live, from Salt Lake - to the WHOLE state of Arizona! How cool is that?!

You all know how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE technology. This broadcast is the epitome' of a cool use of technology. I know it's really great to be able to email and chat with folks from all over the world, in the blink of an eye; but, attending a conference where the people talking to you are in another state, and all the other folks in Arizona are also in attendance, is so totally AWESOME!

That's just one of the things I'm grateful for today - technology.

Technology allows me to easily keep in touch with my oldest 2 daughters, who live in Texas. I use the internet to do research for school. My math class has all my homework online, but the class is not.

Another thing I'm thankful for today is being descended from actual pioneers who crossed the plains to settle the West, and who were willing to go to Arizona and settle, when there was nothing here but sand, cactus, gila monsters, scorpions, and not much visible water. I LOVE ARIZONA!!!

Another thing I'm grateful for today is the inspiration I took away from conference. These are a few things that struck me enough to write them down:

1) "Compare the Scriptures to 'letters from home'." We need to always remember who we are, and why we're here. By rereading these "letters from home," we can reconnect with our Father and our Savior, who love us, and are there to help us find the way back "Home."

2) "To find our way back home, we must find 'The Way.'" There truly is only ONE WAY, and most of the world around us is still searching for it. I'm so grateful for predecessors who "found" it and showed it to me.

3) "Lead, Guide, Walk Beside." If we learn to walk beside our Savior, He will lead and guide us, and enable us to do the same for others. Since none of us live in a vacuum, there are always others watching us. It is emphatic that we walk in a way that is exemplary to those around us, even if we don't realize anyone is watching. Someone is always watching.

4) "Fill up, go on, and pray again." This is a quote from a brother Dan Jones, who was one of the brethren sent to scout parts of Arizona prior to pioneers being sent to colonize in this state. I'm not sure, but since we are related to some of the Jones' by marriage, we could be indirectly related, but I AM SURE that this philosophy works.

We have so much to do, and so far to go, it is utterly impossible to carry with us all we need to make the entire journey. If we are not able to learn how to fill and refill our stores of faith, knowledge, and determination, we will not make it. Of these three, I believe determination is the most important. Without it, we may not be willing to do the work to gain the knowledge, and we may not store up enough faith to keep believing we can do it. We CAN, but not without a lot of help. Fortunately, through the gospel tools we've been given, there is always a renewable source of strength and help.

5) Last, but MOST IMPORTANT: The Gospel is TRUE. I know it. I have ALWAYS known it. Though I am imperfect, I know God has a plan for me, and will give me all the help I need to complete whatever my missions are here in this place we call earth life.

No comments: