Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Day 17: I'm Thankful for Animals

Growing up, our family always had animals around. My dad was a school teacher, but he had been raised on a farm in Chandler, and farm life was in his blood. When I was a child, we had chickens, cows, horses, a sheep, a pig, raised calves for beef to eat, and various cats and dogs along the way.

I loved helping my dad with the animals. I helped shear the sheep, feed the chickens and gather eggs. I loved helping dad exercise the horses, and even got to help with the birth of foal at 3:00 a.m., when I was about 12. I now have only one cat and one dog, and that is definitely enough, since having your pets stay home all day without you is probably not very fun for them, but at least they have each other. Linsey (the cat) and Sugar Baby (the dog) are very great friends, and even chase each other around the house sometimes.

I think we were given animals to help us learn about being kind, loving, and unselfish. A dog is totally devoted to its master. And a cat will lay on your lap and purr, even when you've had a really bad day, and somehow make a lot of the bad things seem not-so-much. It has been proven that animals help elderly and sick people feel better, and be happier. Animals can sense when a person is lonely, or sad, and can even predict seizures, or sniff out illnesses such as cancer or diabetes. They really pretty amazing creatures, and the world would not be nearly as interesting or fun without them.

Now, my dog is about ready to have puppies, so I will have quite a group of pets after that, for a little while. I don't plan to keep any of them. I'm looking forward to the puppies. They are so cute and so fun, and Sugar loves being a mom. And, she's a great mom, too. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: