Thursday, November 20, 2008

Day 19 of Thanks: I'm Thankful for Puppies!

Well, I didn't get much sleep Tuesday night. At 3:15, I awoke to the sound of my poor Sugar Baby crying. Yes, dogs can cry. She has been expecting puppies any day, and was in the process of having the first one. It took a few more minutes, and right after the first one, came the second.



And, yes, I helped. I'm actually a pretty good doggy midwife. Over the next few hours, she and I worked and slept a little, but by 6:45, there were 6 absolutely adorable, tiny dachshunds.

Sugar baby has had puppies before, and she is a very excellent mother dog. In fact, she is such a good mommy, that in order to coerce her to go out for her regular walk now, I have to carry the puppies along, or she won't go. I put a towel in a bucket I use for mopping, and she'll go happily along, as long as she's sure I have the puppies with us.

That daddy is George, another mini-dachshund, who lives here in the mobile home park. His owner, Matt, does not have any children of his own, so George is his baby, and these are George's first babies. Matt is extremely happy to be a doggy "grandpa." He even complained that he didn't have any cigars to hand out for the babies, but I told him I thought jerky sticks would be more appropriate. I don't know if he will actually hand out cigars or jerky, or not.

Sugar is a good-natured dog, and her past puppies have been the same. I have kept in touch with some of those who have purchased a puppy, and all are extremely happy with their new family members. I'll keep you posted with new puppy pictures.

No comments: