Saturday, November 15, 2008

Day of Thanks 14: I'm Thankful to Get to Hang Out With Grandchildren


Now, I know most families use the term "babysitting" when the grandparents are watching the grandkiddies for awhile. In our family, we don't.

When I get the pleasure of spending time with the grandkids "sans parents," I'm hanging out with them, playing with them, and enjoying their company. Yes, if they are in bed sleeping, I read or watch TV or a movie; but if they are awake, I'm watching a video they want to watch, playing trains or puzzles with them, or reading a book to them.

I loved having little ones in
my home when my children were small, although it may not always have seemed like it to them. I don't have the full-time privilege these days, but I cherish any time I get to spend with little children now, especially my grandchildren.

Their brilliant, funny, and insightful comments are always such a treat. Their generous hugs and kisses are beyond priceless. I know it's been said that "If I had known grandchildren were so wonderful, I'd have had them first," and that saying is as old as the hills, and twice as dusty. But I believe that grandchildren are the BIG REWARD for all we go through as a parent, to raise THEIR parents.

There are very few things in this world that are worth that much effort, love, time, and dedication, but raising children properly has some amazing rewards. Watching them grow and become happy and successful is one of them. Watching them become parents and go through some of the same things you did with them, is another. And, being there to see, and hold, and play with those grandchildren is, so far, the greatest reward!

And, now I have 9, count 'em, 9 grandchildren! Amazing!

No comments: