Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 30: I'm Thankful to be at the End of this List!

You know, I am truly grateful for so many things. It has been a great experience putting them down in words, but I am also truly grateful to be at the end of this 30-day list of things. Like Marily, I'm grateful for lists. I use them to know what to get when I go shopping, to keep track of some things, to make sure I don't forget other things, and for the obvious extrinsic benefit of seeing things actually checked off from them. It's therapeutic!

Every day, there are so many things I give silent thanks for, and perhaps I should write these things down on a more regular basis, but keeping a journal of any type has never been my forte'. I give quiet thanks all day, every day, for the many things that come my way to be grateful for, but I don't usually write them down.

There are many things I'm good at, but keeping a personal history or diary isn't one of them. I wish it was. There are so many things in my life, good and not-so-good, that I probably should have chronicled for posterity, but it just didn't happen. Maybe, when I get less busy (haha), I'll start re-creating some of those events. (not!) I know myself. That's one thing I'm good at, and I know that writing stuff down is not one of the things I'm good at. I truly hope someday to change that, but it's not lookin' like it will be any time soon. The Lord knows what is in my heart, so I'm hoping He'll help me to remember things, so I can eventually write them down.

Suffice it to say, I have difficulties in my life that I have to deal with constantly. Who doesn't? But, I have so many things to be grateful for that 30 days is not sufficient to list them.

No, I don't plan to continue doing a day of thanks in this blog forever, even though it wouldn't hurt if I did. You can see that it took me like more than 2 years to get around to finishing the last 10 days of this list. One reason for this is the fact that it takes time to put down into words the way I feel about my children, and obviously, I can't do 30 days of thanks without spending a day on each one of them.

My life has been full of adventure, learning, and doing, along with many trials and hardships. I'm not a "sit-around-and-do-nothing" kind of person. I never will be one of those. I suppose that the fact I'm in my third year of a 5-year college plan, to start a new career, is proof enough of that. I love people, and I LOVE making and doing things. I'm so grateful that I am still physically able to keep making and doing things.

I just pray I'm always able to do so.

No comments: