Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 26: I'm Thankful for Flowers!

Flowers are so beautiful! Roses, tulips, gardenias, hollyhocks, sweet peas, phlox, verbena - the list is almost endless! My favorite flower is the Passion Flower. Although it isn't a well-known flower, I love it because it supposedly reflects the life of Jesus. It is a perfectly symmetrical flower that is so waxy, that it looks like an artificial flower. It grows on a vine that makes a great trellis cover, and can shade the hot side of the house really well. They come in quite a few colors, but my favorite is the original color scheme of purple and green that I once had growing on the west side of my little house when my family was young, and I only had three little girls, at that time. (Photo taken by Amanda)

I also love gardenias and roses, along with Butterfly Orchids. Butterfly orchids grow on a tree that is so named because of its butterfly-shaped leaves. When the trees are in bloom, they are covered with beautiful flowers that resemble orchids, and smell heavenly.

As a child, my family home had a butterfly orchid tree with white blossoms growing outside my brothers' bedroom window. I would climb up and sit it the branches for hours, crafting leis from the flowers. They looked a lot like the leis you can get when you go to Hawaii. I actually did get a real Hawaiian lei, once. My high school boyfriend's sister's boyfriend (figure that out) went to Hawaii for the summer, and brought back a lei for his girlfriend and for me. It was so beautiful, and really cool of him, too.

Anyway, the world would not be nearly as beautiful without flowers in it.

No comments: