Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 20: I'm Thankful for Dawn

I'm thankful for DAWN:

First child in line - The "dawn" of the family. No, that isn't why she got the name "Dawn." Her spirit and personality are where she got her name. She came all "bright & shiny." It's hard to explain to those who have never had children or worked with children; but, they are WHO they are when they arrive here on this earth. Her name became Dawn because she added light to the world when she came. Personalities can be molded and directed a bit, but every child comes already "wired" with the traits and talents they will carry and have to work with, or around, all the rest of their lives. Dawn brought life, love, and joy into the world.

Dawn was a bright and happy baby. She came just "knowing" things. Dawn very rarely asked "why" about anything. (Maybe, "Why not?", but not why.) She was the "I know why" child of the family. She watched everything and everyone, and when she had it figured out, she would say, "I know why this . . . ". And, she would continue to explain how she came to this conclusion. Most of the time, she had it right. And, when it wasn't the right thing, it was so logical that it COULD have been right.

Those of us who believe we were spirits in a lifetime before this, believe that some spirits, like earthbound bodies, were born before others. Some spirits are tremendously old, compared to others. Dawn has an "old" spirit. She came with much innate knowledge - things she had learned before this life. I loved having such a brilliant child. As she grew up, she was anxious to learn, quick to understand, and eager to teach those around her what she had learned.

Dawn has a compassionate heart, quick sense of humor, modest nature, and love for learning and teaching. All these traits and many, many more make her an amazing woman, a loyal and understanding wife, a kind and loving mother, and a true and trustworthy friend. I believe her position in the family was no accident.

I love her for the way she loves her family, is loyal to her values, and for the relationship she and I have with each other. I love the IM'ing late at night; and the updates on what she, Bart, and each of the children are doing. I love that she feels she can confide in me when she needs a shoulder to lean on. And, I love that she is there for me, when I need someone to talk to.

Dawn I love you. I'm so grateful for the privilege of being your mother.

No comments: